Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Against All Odds

Let me ask you a few questions. Do you think attending college while having a child of your own is hard? How about attending college with a child and having no place to stay?

How about attending college while being a single parent and having no place to stay and oh yeah your a key player on the football team, you achieved your degree in political science, and you finished college with a 3.25 GPA? Do you think that is difficult?

Many of you may say that that is virtually impossible. Well, like Kevin Garnett taught us..."ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!"

Meet Jordan McGowan. He is a graduate of Humboldt State and has his degree in political science. Yes, he does have a child, a son to be exact, and yes, he has a cumulative grade point average of 3.25. But, let's not forget he was the star cornerback on the football team.

After spending two years at Santa Rosa Junior College, McGowan made the transfer to Humboldt State in California.

The only issue he foresaw was where he was going to live. The problem, his first option, family housing, was not available to him. Fortunately, during the season his teammates took care of him.

"I ended up staying on the couch the entire fall semester during the season, my teammates charged me but it was kind of expensive for me, especially since I was spending so much of my scholarship money on gas to see my son, but it was the best I had," said McGowan.

After the season, however, McGowan was once again homeless. Not to worry, however, he had a plan in mind.

"I thought about staying in the lockerroom & after a few nights of not getting caught by any staff I ended up staying in the lockerroom for the rest of the semester," said McGowan.

Even with this unusual circumstance, McGowan was still able to focus on his academics. McGowan graduated from Humboldt State University in just 7 semesters and was even named to the GNAC All-Academic All-Conference Team.

Since then, McGowan has found a place stay in an apartment complex with a good friend of his from Santa Rosa Junior College.

This past weekend McGowan was invited the BSN National Scouting Combine in Akron, Ohio. Many scouts talked about how he is a bit undersized, but, what he lacks in size he makes up for in power.

"I pride myself in my tackling, it was something stressed to me by several coaches throughout my life so it is important to me," said McGowan.

McGowan has received his degree in political science and plans to go to law school someday to become a lawyer or an agent. He also wants to get his personal trainers certificate so he can someday train athletes if football doesn't workout.

"I really would like to make a positive impact on young people's lives. I have expressed interest to several schools about coaching possibilities as well," said McGowan.

Jordan McGowan has a great attitude on life that is contagious. One things for sure, whichever team picks up McGowan is not only getting a quality athlete, but, getting a person of high quality.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. Law student, eh? Started thinking about that future job yet? May I make a suggestion? Check out JD Match in between the papers and exams. I work with JD Match and it’s a great step for any law student looking for an AmLaw firm job and a little weight off their shoulders. http://bit.ly/ydssup

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having fun could be easy but having fun and making yourself fit is much better than ever by just doing sports.Archery

    ReplyDelete