Thursday, June 7, 2012

Nats Draft Profile: Austin Chubb

(Photo: fcsmocs.com)
This past weekend Major League Baseball held its annual entry level player draft. The draft consisted of 40 rounds in which each team got one pick each round.

With the 654th pick in this years draft, the Nationals selected Austin Chubb. Chubb is a 6'1" 220 pound catcher from Lake Mary, Florida.

What is your favorite memory you have of playing in college?
"My favorite college memory would have to be winning the Florida Junior College State Championship and playing at the Junior College World Series in Grand Junction, Colorado in 2010 for the State College of Florida Manatees. (Bryce Harper was actually there as well with his Junior College Team.)"

Where were you when you got the call saying you were being drafted by the Nationals?
"I was sitting with my family in our living room at my home in Lake Mary, Florida."

How did it feel when you were officially drafted?
"It was the most unbelievable feeling I've ever experienced. This has been my lifelong dream, and it is hard to believe it has finally come true. My brother actually saw my name pop up on the computer before I did and he started screaming we all hugged and there were many tears of joy."

What sets you apart from the rest of the catchers in this years draft?
"This was a solid year for catchers. I feel that I can contribute offensively, as well as defensively. Also, I will bring an unmatched work ethic to the field each day. I also feel that I bring a number of intangibles, such as leadership, and have a knack for getting the most out of my pitchers when I catch."

How are you going to prepare yourself for the minor leagues and progressing through the Nationals farm system?
"Professional baseball is a grind. I plan to work as hard as I possibly can to maximize my potential. I feel that I'm well prepared because of the great college programs that I played for, State  College of Florida, and then Florida Southern. However, I also realize that learning is a coninual process, and I will always be a student of the game. I am excited about being able to pick the brains of the great coaches in the Nationals organization, and plan on learning as much from them as I can. Being able to play everyday, producing, and finding ways to help my team win will ultimately help me advance within the system."

What expectations do you have for yourself now that you have been drafted?
"The sky is the limit. I want to help the Nationals win a World Series Championship. Whether that is contributing at the minor league level, or hopefully playing a key role with the Big League club one day, winning the ultimate goal. If you prepare and play to win, everything else will fall into place."

Who do you try to model yourself after as a player?
"I always loved the way Jason Varitek was the leader and captain of his team. I also loved his defense mentality. But I also know that I am my own player, and I want to do things that I do best to help my team."

What excites you the most about being drafted by the Nationals?
"The Nationals are a first class organization. Mike Rizzo and Davey Johnson are doing an outstanding job and have put the Nationals in a position to win, and to win now. I am extremely excited to represent one of the most professional and promising organizations in the game."

1 comment:

  1. Austin Chubb is the most deserving young man of this opportunity! His Faith and his Family have always been #1 in his life and that is why he is A Bllessed person and athlete!

    ReplyDelete