Monday, June 11, 2012

Redskins Draft Profle: Keenan Robinson

Robinson, 1, was a fourth round pick of the Redskins. (Photo: giantsgab.com)
With the 119th pick in the fourth round of the 2012 NFL Draft, the Washington Redskins selected linebacker Keenan Robinson from the University of Texas.

In four seasons for the Longhorns, Robinson started in every game from his sophomore through  his senior season. He appeared in 12 games as a freshman. He recorded 316 total tackles including 24 tackles for loss. He also sacked the quarterback 5.5 times. Robinson caused three fumbles and recovered two fumbles. The Plano, Texas native intercepted two passes while breaking up 13 more.

Robinson is a two-time Butkus Award (nations top NCAA linebacker award) semi-finalist as well as second team All Big 12 following his junior and senior seasons. He was the Holiday Bowl Defensive MVP his senior season for his 10 tackle performance against Cal.

First off, looking back at your career for the University of Texas, what is the fondest memory you have of playing for them?
"I think my greatest memory at Texas is beating Texas A&M with a last second field goal my Senior Year. It was the final game of the series and the game was an instant classic."

Where were you when you recieved the call from the Redskins saying they were drafting you?
"I was in Dallas with my friends and family. I talked to Coach Shannahan and Coach Haslett. As soon as I heard their voices I knew that the Redskins had picked me."

What was the moment like when it was announced that the Redskins had drafted you and it became official?
"I was pretty enthusiastic. I had been waiting on that moment for a long time and when it happened it was almost too surreal. I knew that I was going to get drafted just now when and by who. To get drafted by a great organization like the 'Skins was the icing on the cake."

How were you recieved when you first arrived at Redskins Park to be introduced?
"I think the fans along with the staff were very receptive of me. Being a Texas guy I already have high expectations with players like Orakpo and Cedric Griffin already on the team so they already knew what Texas players were about."

What are your expectations or goals that you have for yourself this season?
"Every rookie wants to come in and be an immediate impact player. Realistically, I want to get the system down by the end of training camp and earn the as well as the coaches trust so that I can be a guy that can get in the inside backer rotation."

How are you going to contribute to and help improve the Redskins defense?
"I think that first and foremost I will help the team wherever they need me on special teams. Secondly, i can bring my combination of size and speed to the inside backer position which will allow me to make plays at this level."

How do you plan to get invloved in the Redskins community?
"The first thing I want to do is find a good church that I can get involved with. I know that Sundays are usually hectic with our schedule and everything, but I could attend a service or two during the week. The next thing I want to do is get with guys like Orakpo and Fletcher and see what they're doing in the community and see if I can get involved."

Once you get that first pay check, what is your first big purchase going to be?
"I want to help my parents. They have sacrificed for my brother and sisters our entire lives and now it's time I help them out so that they don't have to worry about making ends meet."

What excites you the most about becoming a Washington Redskin?
"The most exciting element of becoming a Redskin is the opportunity to play in arguable to toughest conference in the entire league amongst some of the best players in the league. The competition I will face week in and week out will challenge me and really help me develop my game even further."

1 comment: